Salsify Macro

This was one of the first photos I took with the Canon 100 mm macro lens I bought a few months ago. It was an encouraging start. So much to learn.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

3 Likes

Oh like a new fluffy, chick. Is this also known as Goat’s beard? I’ve shot it only once and in this seed state, too, never the flower. Weird. But it’s ethereal and reminds me of high summer.

Love the very soft feel of the salsify, Chris. Very dreamy. Much as I’ve tried I have not yet gotten a photo of one of these I’m happy with. This is wonderful. … you’ve inspired me to keep trying. Nicely done.

Very nice, Chris. It looks like it was taken in the fog. Or did you fog up the lens? I’ve tried that technique a time or two. Anyway, it is a very nice shot.

Lovely!! I don’t remember your camera, but if that’s the Canon EF 2.8 L IS lens, at least when used with an adapter on my R5, it exhibits axial CA wide open, which results in red/blue fringes noticeable around very bright edges against a dark BG. Stopping down fixes the problem. But I see none of it here – you have a gorgeous image with a lovely choice of focal plane!! Welcome to the wonders of exploring macro subjects!

@Kris_Smith I don’t believe this is Goat’s Beard, but I’m no plant expert. Thanks for your comments.

@Diane_Miller Diane, I have the Canon R6. I haven’t noticed any fringing to date. Thanks for commenting.

@Shirley_Freeman No fog. The softness is from the macro lens and just focusing in one small spot. Thanks for your feedback.

1 Like

@linda_mellor Thank you for your kind comment.

This really caught my eye Chris. So soft and beautiful!

@Mark_Muller Thanks, Mark. I’m glad you think so.

This is very pretty, Chris! The first thing I thought of is dandelions. I have some shots of seeding dandelions that look very much like this. I like the combination of sharp and soft and the pastel colors. Nicely done!

@Gary_Minish Thank you very much, Gary.