Sand Meets Cloud

This image was made in Death Valley last January. I posted it back then, but just now re-tweaked it a bit. I am going through the year’s files for the current weekly challenge. It is funny how looking at an image with fresh eyes can give new insights and ideas (or just fine-tuning) for processing. I just did a little fine-tuning on this one.

D810 and 70-200mm

2 Likes

What pristine sand … and associated geometric shapes. I really love the cleverness of this composition. Following the ridge lines is such a treat for the eyes. The clouds act as a nice counterbalance and provide a good dose of softness which I feel is essential here.

Lovely work Harley.

Harley, it’s easy to understand it is a favorite. I particularly like the sweeping curve and deep shadow defining the FG portion. And you got some great clouds to boot.

**It is funny how looking at an image with fresh eyes can give new insights and ideas (or just fine-tuning) for processing. **
Harley, I totally agree on this key point. In most cases for the better too.

WOW, I sure missed this one or don’t recall seeing this if posted in 2018. This is one of the best I’ve seen from the dunes at DVNP. An excellent natural sand dune formation. Glad you were able to catch this without foot traffic signs at all.

Harley, the swirls in the pristine dunes are wonderful. The clouds are a fine bonus. Yes, it’s both neat and amazing how going back weeks or months (or occasionally years) later changes your thoughts on images.

This is a great simple and powerful composition. Who can resist the wonderful shadows and curves of a sand dune like in your foreground?

I hear you on that one! I just edited an image I took back in 2014 and it’s becoming one of my favorite recent images! I feel silly for not noticing it before. It is indeed funny how that works :laughing:

Excellent dune, that curve at the bottom is off the charts…

Great photo! I often cringe when opening a photo that I know is going to be an over photographed icon, but this photo is unique and wonderful.

Very cool find, Harley. The shapes of the dunes are wonderful as are the earth tones in the image. I particularly like the diagonal lines of the left side of the main dune and the sweeping curve of the FG one. Beautifully done.

I love this image, Harley! The graphical lines and shapes in the sand are so strong that it took me a minute to figure out the natural lay of the drifts. They also create a striking contrast with the more analog looking sky. I can definitely see why it is one of your favorites!

Harley,

Must have been on my NPN hiatus cause I don’t recall this one either. Sure glad you reposted for the Challenge. This is fabulous! That long, clean ridge line, the contrasts and the tones throughout the dune are wonderful.

Lon