Sand Pattern #2

This is an other one from my Ancient Sand series

Specific Feedback Requested

How well does this image work as cropped?

Technical Details

Canon R5, 24-105mm @ 24mm. 1/60 sec., f/18, iso 250, hand held

3 Likes

Wow Don! Stunning image! The patterns are hypnotic. The only thing that bothers me is the BRS where the swirls stop. There are a couple things I would try.
Cropping some of the RS, but some of the patterns at the top would be lost.
Bringing down the brightness in that area.
Applying a warp adjustment in PS to pull the BRS further to the right.
Or a combination of them.
I really like how you handled the tones.

Don, outstanding patterns that are quite mesmerizing! I like the overall exposure too. There are many ways to crop this image and perhaps there is a crop that would eliminate the bottom left corner. The darker tones there pull my eye there. Regardless, this is a fantastic abstract image!

What a great scene @Don_Jacobson! You could consider cropping off the right fifth because that bright empty area breaks the feel of intricate swirls. Or, you could try increasing the texture and contrast in that spot to help it feel more cohesive with the rest of the scene. The only other spot that catches my eye is the little line that is nearly parallel to the top edge. It is one of the only vertical lines in the scene and in being so close to the upper edge, it pulls in a lot of attention. Otherwise, this is a wonderfully mesmerizing scene.

An amazing image, Don! You cannot stop looking at all of the swirls. I agree with the others that one idea could be to crop the rightmost part since there are no swirls there. You could also try to brighten a tad the swirls in the BLC to make them more in line with the color scheme of the rest of the image.

Incredibly beautiful Don! I am just mesmerized by all of the textures, colors, curves and swirls, light and dark. There are two things that immediately pull my eye. The right side of the frame where the light section doesn’t have much going on and the LLC where it’s too dark. I think both can fixed without cropping. Simply dodge the LLC to brighten it up and with the right side of the frame you could add contrast to the swirls that are there to make them stand out more and also Dodge that whole section to bring the luminosity down some. Regardless, this is a really terrific image and I can just sit here and look at this one for quite some time. Well done. Is this actually sand or sandstone?

Mesmerizing for sure, Don! Love all the energy. Can’t add any more than others have already mentioned, except for really nicely seen!

Thank you for your helpful critiques. I have re-posted my image with modifications based on the suggestions I received.

The patterns are on compacted sand that were deposited as long ago as

the Pleistocene. Although compacted, they are not as hard as sandstone.

4 Likes

Don,

This is wild. Phenomenal - ok, even psychedelic! How about mezmerizing - I think someone already mentioned that one.

I love your edit - at least for me eliminates the need or suggestion of cropping. Well, actually this is one of those images where there are endless possibilities to slice this up, each with it’s own unique and wild patterns. And the great news is, that your simple adjustments work beautifully.

Thanks for taking the time and considering the suggestions. I think greatly improved. Wow, what a subject - I think one could get immersed in this little scene for quite some time.

Lon