Sassy Strelitzia reginae

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

If Sassy is an emotion, then this flower has plenty.

Imagine if Disney or Pixar did an animated political film, Regina would be the learder of the Garden Party, or a New Orleans nightclub diva!

My cousin said she did not know why this flower was called a “Bird” of Paradise, until she saw this image.

Found this flower walking around the gardens of or So Cal condo complex.

Specific Feedback

Anything. Dozens of shots of these flowers, until I came to this one.

Technical Details

Hand held
Nikon D300, AF-S DX Nkr 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6G ED VR II, aperture mode

What a beautifull colors! Yes, the flower is a bird from paradise, a marvellous creature it is. I have never seen such wonderfull flower.
My emotions are mainly aesthetically focused now, the results of the sharpness of background. The background has also pointed details, wich distract from the beak-like shape of the flower. If your intention was to show the ‘bird with a sharp beak’ then a larger aperture is recommended. Then the background will be unsharp and the focus wil be at the sharpness of the flower.
You made a very fine crop of the image, wel done!

Thank you for the review and comments. Your points about the background and using larger aperture are duly noted and spot on. I think when I was taking this among dozens of other birds of paradise flowers photos, what struck me was the "eye’"of the bird and the partial profile from above. This was just different from all of the other poses, so to speak. I may try to play with the background in processing more. But better to attend to that during the capture.

Hi Martin, try to crop much more, then the eye will be the centre of the image!

Marlin, the “bird look” stands out beautifully here. While I could wish for just a hair more room at the top, the rest of the view works so well that that critique is very minor. Love how the beautiful blue eye and “nasal cavity” stand out from the “crest and bill”…

Thank you Mark, for the comments. I will look to see if there is room to clear the top some. I love finding these unexpected transformations in the subject. This is one of my favorites.