Fledgling

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400G-II @ 160mm
ISO 200, 1/125 @ f8
This is from our largest Bird of Paradise plant. It had outgrown its large pot a couple of years ago and Chrissy had to replant it in the garden. When we moved it I think it must have weighed about 300 pounds. It was quite a rasslin match! The first year it didn’t flower but did put out some strong leaves. This is its first flower since its relocation. The plumage rotates counterclockwise out of the bud and we watched the third “feather” pop out as we were standing next to it. For a color junkie like me these are wonderful subjects despite their large size. All comments welcome. >=))>

1 Like

I love these flowers as well. This one looks like a particularly healthy specimen. I’ve read that they enjoy being overcrowded and do well in such conditions.

I’m enjoying the colors, too, Bill. That peachy/orange is really an attention grabber.

Gorgeous Bill. Colors, composition and of course, the Bird of Paradise, are all spot on. Great job.

How nice, to have your own Bird of Paradise, Bill. Great image of it. I really enjoyed the story too. I can just see you trying to move that big guy to the garden. Very nice looking flower, and image of it.

Bill, this is a great mix of colors and shapes. BOP has an amazing flower and you show it off beautifully here.

There is a real eye-popping perfection to this fresh Strelitzia image Bill! I’m really drawn to the strong graphics of this composition. I think the background competes with the subject in some very subtle ways, but that is a minor comment at best. Beautiful interpretation of one of nature’s showiest flowers.

Another excellent flower macro, Bill! The bold colors, clean shapes and sharp lines make for a very artistic and dynamic image. Good choice of composition and great detail.