Say "Cheese"! + Repost

I captured this image of a male Gray Fox and his kits on an overcast day in 2017. It’s always been my favorite wildlife image, though I know the photo has issues. I’d like to hear your opinions; what you see and if you have any suggestions for improvement. It was captured with a Canon 60D, Canon 70-300 IS USM Zoom, Av Mode, f/6.7, 1/750 sec., ISO 1000, Ev -0.5 Step, 300mm Focal Range, Spot Metering. Post processed in Canon DPP, AI Sharpen, and Photoshop Elements.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

1 Like

A very nice wildlife moment with the family of foxes. Amazing to get a pose like that.

I think the image is over saturated. I’m guessing that the original capture didn’t have nearly that amount of red. It’s not over sharpened, but it is very close. The larger version is showing some issues with over sharpening. I’d back off the AI sharpen.

Terry, you take what you can get, and they sure gave you a great lineup.

I can’t disagree with Keith’s commentary in this case. Also, I’d normally say keep the subjects out of the middle of the frame (vertically), but I think in this case there’s decent balance, so I don’t mind what you’ve done compositionally here.

Max

@Keith_Bauer, @Max_Waugh Thanks, guys. You have both confirmed my thoughts all the way around. It seems when I back off the sharpening, it’s too soft, and when I back off the saturation, there isn’t enough color. Arrrrgh!! Back to the drawing board! Thank you both for your input.

Best,
Terry

It’s a great setting and wonderful line up!
Over sharpening and over saturation are two common traps, one has to watch in digital post processing.

1 Like

Thanks, Jagdeep! Unfortunately, I didn’t take a very good photo to start with, from a technical standpoint, and I’m now fighting the post-processing. I can’t seem to find a happy medium!

Best,
Terry

What a handsome brood. Great capture!

1 Like

Thanks, Kathy! They are a lot of fun to have around!

Best,
Terry

Nice pooses and follow the oithers critique about over sharpening asnd over saturation. Color saturation tend to increase when going from RAW to JPG. Please repost this with the suggeted edits. An awesome capture…Jim

1 Like

Thanks, Jim. I will work on an edit and repost.

Best,
Terry!

Here is the repost. Opinions, please?

Colors on this feel far more natural. Looking at the larger version, clearly soft. Is this a large crop or was focus just not crisp? I guess it would be helpful to just post the original image with no processing and no crop to help understand the scene and what/if should be done to the image in post.