Say Whaaaat!

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One of our local clowns causing a ruckus over a dog on a leash. Sandhills are very vocal birds and they do not know how to whisper.

Technical Details

Z9 600mm f4 Topaz DeNoise AI, Levels, Burnt light OOF leaves in BG…Jim

Beautiful detail, Jim. Nice to have this charismatic bird so available, and you’ve done a very nice job of taking advantage of it.

1 Like

Lovely portrait. Your title works well with the crane’s expression.

1 Like

Nice sharp image of one of my favorite birds. How lucky you are to have them right in your neighborhood! I wonder about the bright leaves on top. I find them a bit distracting but they also do highlight the crane’s head well. Perhaps crop off a bit of the image on the top so there is less of the leaves and the focus is more on the crane. Maybe blur the background a bit more? I love the texture on the crane’s neck. Beautiful image!

1 Like

Jim, this is a very nice portrait of the Sandhill. The beak open is a nice addition.

1 Like

Wonderful capture! The bright leaves are not ideal, for me. I see you worked on them but I wonder if more is warranted. They are actually quite pretty, but interact with the bird’s head in an awkward way. I wouldn’t crop more as that will put the bird’s head too close to the top.

1 Like

Hi Jim, very nice pose you captured and I love the open beak. Fine details and exposure. The brighter leaves in upper background do attract attention but I think this is still a fine image as is. Nice frame.

1 Like

Title and image fit perfectly together. Great on the techs, but I am not a huge fan of portraits, as it’s always a challenge as to where to make the cut. But, I realize that’s strictly personal and says nothing about the IQ. On the upside, it’s awesome to see all the details ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

I love that these birds are right in your backyard so to speak. Terrific details. He does look rather preturbed about something. I agree with what a few have already mentioned regarding the bright leaves behind his head and I think if you burned those leaves and dodged the darker background it would appear to be more evenly lit and not pull the eye so much. Regardless, the image quality is superb.

1 Like

Hi Jim
The title expresses my impression completely. Nice work.
Peter

1 Like