Scary Orchid

Just in time for Halloween! I love taking closeups of flowers because you’ll never know what you’ll find. This otherwise beautiful plant was harboring a menacing skull bordered by horns. I’m sure there are more proper names for these parts. Sony A77 Mark II, Tamron DT 16-300mm lens at 90mm, 2 macro extension tubes, 45 degree lighting on both sides, AWB, ISO 100, f/32, 8 seconds on a tripod. All comments and suggestions are welcome and appreciated. Thanks for viewing.

Jim, you do have an imagination! After viewing it for a few moments though, I could see the skull shape. I love the colors of this orchid. The water drops are a nice bonus. I think having the lighting off to the sides worked nicely.

Jim: I like your POV and the subject. There is an overall softness that I find puzzling considering your aperture. Some may blame diffraction but I really don’t see that effect. The long shutter speed may have allowed some motion blur or camera vibration. The amount of extension on a zoom can have an impact as well. You might try a longer working distance using the long end of the zoom with less extension. >=))>

Thanks for that advice @Bill_Fach.

Jim, I find orchids a difficult subject as they are very 3 dimensional and difficult to bring everything in sharp focus. Very good try on this. Agree with Jim on softness. It would be a good subject for stacking at f/11 which could afford a higher shutter speed. Interesting perspective. I see a small skull within a big skull!