Secret Treasures

@Eva_McDermott, @Han_Schutten, @Vanessa_Hill, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Egídio, @David_Bostock, @Kerry_Gordon, @GregVaughn, @David_Haynes, @Tom_Nevesely, @Tony_Siciliano , @Bill_Chambers, @Don_Jacobson

Thank you for you comments. The majority of you feel that the less narrow image is preferable and I totally agree. Even the taller image is really narrow for my taste but since there is little interest above and below the roots it stays.

I agree with you on this comments. The thing is that this is about light coming into darkness and when I lifted the darks that feeling started to go away. I wanted mystery in that darkness.

1 Like

By manufactured data, I assume you’re talking about Gigapixel. I’m sure using Gigapixel is NOT as good as using the 100 MP, just a whole lot less expensive. Please let me know how you like the 100 MP.

Bill, One of the issues I’ve found is related to diffraction. I have to shoot at f/7.5 on the 100Mp to get rid of diffraction. On the 50Mp the cutoff is f/11. Until I stopped down to f/7.2 the 50Mp was sharper. The problem with such a wide aperture is that I would have to do focus bracketing with virtually every image. I may not have enough ‘computer power’ to focus stack multiple 100Mp files. So that’s an issue.

On the positive side I loved that viewfinder much better than the GFX50R. After many years I was actually able to compose through the viewfinder instead of the LCD screen. But your GFX50S viewfinder is the same as GFX100S so you’re good on that account.

I’m still testing though …

Wow, having diffraction issues at f/8 is amazing. Never heard of it being a problem that large an aperture before. The viewfinder is one the main reasons I doubt I will go to the 100 MP. On my 50s, I use the optional EVF Tilt Adapter and absolutely love it. That adapter isn’t available for either of the 50sII or 100sII. The new 100MP would have to offer a spectacular difference for me to seriously consider it. When I first looked at it, I assumed the tilt adapter would work on it, but sadly, it doesn’t.

This link includes a diffraction calculator. I’ve verified it with tests on the 2 cameras. Among many things it’s related to the density of pixels. I’ve been shooting at f/16 for years so it was good to learn this. Now I know.

https://alikgriffin.com/what-is-diffraction/

I spend a lot (I mean a lot) of time in this area and its pretty darn hard to make a really good “Simple” image. You’ve accomplished that!-I vote for the original as for me it tells me more of where you are. The wetter the mosses etc. are the greener that become. I bet this was a damp day. You held the saturation really well. This are is why we used Velvia (whoops … I’m dating myself"… great capture!
JG

It was a damp day. The trail was very muddy. Even with boots I had to step around the edges of the trail to keep from sinking too deep. It was a good time for moss but a bit early for ferns. The maple leaves were a lime green at this early part of the season. @David_Haynes should be vacationing somewhere in that area right now. I’m sure he’ll come back with some terrific work. I have a companion piece to this image which I still haven’t posted.