Seeing Double?

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

When I was reviewing images and found this Black-necked Stilt image, I had to look twice to figure out what was going on.

Specific Feedback

This one’s pretty much for fun. The light was starting to get harsh and the area it was photographed in was an open pond surrounded by pasture land so there was no shade. Any comments are quite welcome and always appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod from boat, f/9, 1/2000, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 7668x4944. Taken February 22nd at 9:03 a.m.

Pretty good for harsh light. I like the wing position and the detail in the wings and for a rear view there’s a decent head turn. Another bird is flying in front?

Cool and somewhat unique image. Looks like another one was taking off behind the front. Perhaps that’s why there are some water drops. The dark spot in ULC draws some attention.

You did a nice job capturing the bird and its detail. No suggestions for improvement. I wonder if you may have other shots with a different point of view, perhaps showing more of of the front of the head, perhaps at an angle. Also, from a recent NPN webinar, could you be down lower. I would have difficulty doing that, but the woman showing the webinar often laid down on the ground to capture shore birds. What about eliminating dark green in the ULC? Nice image, Dennis.

I had to do a double take on this one Dennis. I love that both birds have one leg opposite leg down and one up. It looks like the beek is open. Great take on this one.