Seeing in two or more dimensions at once

Description: I knew this small stream would have some great opportunities for ice photography. But storage card left in my computer rather than in my camera meant I’d “only” be able to look at the ice not photograph it. Until I remembered I had my cell phone (iPhone 8) in my back pocket. This was the first time I’d used it as a camera and I was blown away by the results. This image, in particular, was fun as I felt I was both above and below the ice as well as inside the sunshine and water, all at the same time.

Specific Feedback Requested: What do you find pleasing about this image?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) a single image

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

5 Likes

You really brought your game here! The elements come together so beautifully - the open water and submerged leaves look great next to the varying ice textures. Shooting these in direct sun is a challenge, but it works here to bring up interesting features of the water both frozen and liquid. Beauty!

Many thanks for your kind comments! It was a magical day and not having my "real " camera turned out to be a plus.

Fantastic capture, John. The lighting, along with the detail, make for a wonderful image to look at again. Very nicely seen and captured (especially with your phone!)

A special photo, John. Looking in on the river through the beautifully-composed “broken window” of ice - five stars! I like how the white of the ice is muted so as not to distract.

Thank you, Linda, an yes, fun to figure out what the phone can do. Most that day were just amazing, especially when taken from about 24" an parallel to the subject.

Thank you, Mike. It is always wonderful when a photo connects with folks.

John, there’s a lot to like here, with all of the needles at the bottom and the hole showing the highlights and rocks below the stream’s surface. As I start our saying, when I teach a photography class, it’s not the equipment that makes the photo, it’s the person knowing how to use what equipment they’re carrying.

Thanks, Mark, and given that I had literally never used the phone camera (but have made thousands of ice photos), being in the right place at the right time is essential. Thank you for your comments!

You certainly made the best of the opportunity!! I would never have guessed this was an iPhone shot. You made a gorgeous capture of an amazing subject! The huge DOF probably worked in your favor here.