Self-portrait

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I stopped back at the local park with a rose garden on my way to a blood donation appointment this morning. We had a pretty foggy morning so everything was wet (they may have had sprinklers on over night as well-not sure). A lot of the roses were well past their prime but this one in particular caught my eye and I identified with the rather decrepit nature of it (but still hanging in there).

Specific Feedback

I did quite a bit of work on the background as there was a fair amount of light gray in it that just wasn’t working. I’m also unsure about the one out of focus leaf at the bottom which I can remove pretty easily.

Technical Details

Sony A7Riv, FE 70-200 f/4 macro @ 107 mm, tripod with cable release, f/4, iso 2000 (was shooting in the shade earlier and forgot to change), 1/3200, manual exposure, 8 shot stack in Helicon Focus. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6894x6460. Taken at 8:46 this morning.

1 Like

Come on, Dennis, if you’re donating blood you’re not this decrepit! It’s a good study of a rose past its prime, greatly enhanced by the water drops. Oof leaf doesn’t bother me.

Some flowers hold their beauty well into old age and I think you found one. It minds me of a photo of Ragged Robin which is a wildflower that tends to look fly-away even when fresh, but the one I caught was wilting. The water droplets add vitality and a lot of interest. Agree with Mike that if you’re ambulatory enough to give blood, you’re doing pretty well, much better than this flower.