Sensual

I was able to steal a trip to the desert earlier this year and truly, the dunes never disappoint. I can understand some would like to see more contrast or more punch with the colors in this image, and I did experiment with those adjustments. But, I feel that it goes against my vision with this image which is to pay homage to subtlety. Think about the softness of the sand and how it feels as it falls through your fingers… Having said that, I am always open to all suggestions and would love to hear your thoughts and reactions to the image.

D750, 95mm, f/16, 1/30 sec

@adhikalie

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

I love this one. It looks like silk to me. It also works as an abstract. You can change the color casts in LAB and they all work nicely. I like it best the way it is though. Great job.

Adhika, this is beautiful abstract scene! I love your vision and processing. Well done!

This is wonderful, Adhika. I love the lines, subtle sensual shapes, and low contrast color palette. No nits from me.
ML

This is very nice Adhika. My only suggestion would be to tone down the brightness a bit. I find the glow mid frame takes away from the subtleness of the image. It works real well as presented.

Adhika, this is a lovely, glowing dune abstract. Well seen and presented. It does well at reminding me of the warmth and gentleness of handling such lovely dry sand.

Very nice colors and lines. I like this as the smaller image, but as it gets bigger, it seems to lose some of its interest. There’s no a lot of detail overall. Sort of wondering what it might be like in B&W. Sometimes the graphic qualities of that are better at portraying these simpler compositions.

I think you pulled off your vision well Adhika, and the soft color/low contrast makes this a beauty.

@Igor_Doncov, @Alan_Kreyger, @Marylynne_Diggs, @Gary_Phillips, @Mark_Seaver, @Tony_Kuyper, @John_Williams, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Paul_Breitkreuz thank you so much.

I ponder about the highlight that Gary mentioned and what Tony said about the details. My idea is to lead to that highlight on the right side of that upper slope by using the subtle ripple leading from the foreground. And then the surprise “slope” on the right edge of the frame. Perhaps I could enhance the contrast in the middle area just a little bit, I’ll play with it a little more and see where this goes. Going B&W seems to necessitate bringing up the overall contrast a little higher than I would like it to have. I’ll come back with an alternate edit if I find something that I like from this exploration. Thanks, guys! It’s always good to hear the variety of opinions here.

I think the soft contrast fits perfectly with the sensuous lines in the dunes. I like the diagonal lines i the composition. The large version reveals some nice details in the sand.