Serviceberry Flash Diffuser Test + RePost

Repost:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Spring has finally arrived in Michigan and the transition between winter and spring has been subtle. This serviceberry is one of my favorite test subjects and was hoping for better lighting. Traffic did not cooperate and lighting was very low at 6:00 pm. I purchased an AK Diffuser for macro-photography and so far I like the results. I boosted the subtle shadows a bit and a pleasing image resulted from the light produced by the SB-5000 set to ttl-bl.

Technical Details

z9 105mm f2.8 Micro (1/100 sec at f16, ISO 500) 20 shot stack PMAX, Levels, DeNoise, Crop for comp, Rubber stamp tool to remove orphaned flowers on RH side…Jim

2 Likes

Jim: This looks pretty darn good to me. No perceptible flash shadows and the stack looks perfect. exceptionally well done. >=))>

1 Like

Jim, what stands out here is the limited contrast, that lets all of the details show very well. I had one of these in my yard and know from experience how hard it is to get a good photo of the blooms. You’ve done well here. In the largest view, there is some dark haloing around a few of the petals along the top.

1 Like

I see what you were going for here, Jim and it worked well for that purpose, though my personal taste would call for a bit more contrast, Jim. I see a couple of dark spots under the stem that don’t seem to indicate anything and I could see losing the intruding leaf on the right, but that one would take some very careful work and still might not be doable. Great job on the stack. As Mark mentioned, these almost random flower clusters are a real pain to get looking good.

1 Like

If this is a test I can’t wait to see the launch! Excellent subject, lighting and stack. I wonder about just a bit more contrast, too, but can’t complain about the delicate treatment.

1 Like

Thank you @Bill_Fach , @Dennis_Plank , @Mark_Seaver , and @Diane_Miller. I removed a couple of dark blobs on the lower part of the stem which were OOF chironomid flies and tweaked up contrast with a curves adjustment…Jim

Nice job on the repost, Jim. The curves adjustment gives the image a lot more depth and presence.

1 Like

Thumbs up on the repost.
:metal:

1 Like

Jim: The repost makes an already good image even better. Most excellent. >=))>

1 Like

Yes – the RP takes it over the top! Good work!

1 Like

Nice image to start with Jim. Good job on the touch up version! Beautiful. Spring is in the air.

1 Like

The repost is great! The light is very even, contrast is better all over.

1 Like

The repost hit the mark for me. I saw the original and thought oh this needs some punch and you provided that. Awesome!!

1 Like