Set in Stone

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken 8 years ago, and required shimmying up the canyon with my shoulders on one canyon wall, my feet on the other, plus balancing a camera and tripod; something I will probably never do again :slight_smile:
Streams in the desert are usually not a constant, depending, in most cases, completely on rainfall and/or snowmelt from the higher elevations, so when it is present, it truly is a sight for sore eyes.
The colors reflecting from the sky as well as the canyon walls add to the beauty of the all-to fleeting moment.

Specific Feedback

As always, any feedback welcomed.

Technical Details

1/30 sec, f/9.5, ISO 200, 25mm (looking at these settings, I realize that I must have been more worried at not falling into the canyon than camera settings :))

4 Likes

This is one of those shots that - for me at least - benefits from a lack of scale information. That could be a huge pale boulder at the base of the canyon, or (I suspect) it could be a small stone in a rock pool. It doesn’t matter - we enjoy the mystery. A breathtaking shot, with wonderful colours and textures!

Fantastic image.

That sounds like something I might have done quite a few years ago myself…but alas, never again for me. :roll_eyes:
That bit of information does provide my mind with a sense of scale but somehow the scale is still illusive.

I love the color and patterns in the canyon walls and the colors of the water! The rock dam is intriguing to me and the composition was very well done in my view.

This is one of those images that screams: “Print Me and Hang Me on a Wall”!! :smiley:

Love it! :smiley:

Wow! Fritz this is one of the coolest images I have seen in a long time! Well done!

This reminds me of a peacock - a stylized version in a lithograph or something. Very intriguing and vivid. Just amazing.

1 Like

Thank you, Mike. And yes, the lack of scale is what allows the imagination to take flight, in this particular case for sure.

Thank you! Glad you like it, Kristen.

Thank you very much, Glenn!

Thank you, Mervin. And actually this image indeed screamed “Print me and hang me on the wall”, to the tune of 34" x 60", mounted behind acrylic, which gives it an almost three dimensional look. It is in a spot where it is one of the first things I see in the morning :slight_smile: Glad you like it, and thank you for the feedback!

Thank you!

Yes! Very Cool! I was thinking either acrylic or aluminum and LARGE! :smiley:

Great Minds :thinking: … and all that fun stuff! :roll_eyes:
Thanks, Fritz! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow - this is so very cool!! I can’t believe you shimmied up the canyon wall with a tripod!

My first thought was also about the lack of scale. The colors are pretty amazing, of course. Nice work keeping your footing!

Fritz, you’ve got some great drama here with the layers of rock and the color shift in the water. Shows the pay off to putting in a bit more effort in “getting the shot”, :grinning:.

@ Bonnie Lampley @ Max Waugh @ Mark Seaver Thank you all for your comments. Bonnie, to this day I’m not quite sure how I managed to get the tripod all the way up to the top, the camera dangling around my neck on a strap. One of those things were you remember the start, then the end, not much of the in-between. Not sure I would attempt that again, although to Mark’s point, that extra (sometimes crazy) effort is what gets the unique images. In this case, the emphasis is on crazy :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I missed this when first posted; it’s wonderful. Well seen and captured. Congrats on the EP!

Thank you, John. Much appreciated!

1 Like

I missed it too and so glad I’m seeing it now. So cool, and with the story it goes to outer space cool!!!

Thank you, Diane :slight_smile: