Sharp-shinned Stare

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I snagged this pose of a sharp-shinned that came in to see about catching breakfast at our backyard feeder this morning. Even though it briefly looked at me, it didn’t seem to mind my presence.

Specific Feedback

Exposure? Cropping? Color? For some reason, it is showing here on the cool side. The original is warmer. Weird.

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/3200th, f 6.3, 585mm, ISO 8000, cropped to 2666 x 3011, Photo AI

1 Like

Definitely something wrong with the color, Dave. You might want to check the color space when you converted to jpg. The breast on a sharpie should be almost orange. The bird is also looking a bit dark on my screen.

I cannot cause this image to look like it does in photoshop which is brighter, and more color saturated. I’ve posted images before with no difference in brightness or color saturation from their look in photoshop. I just can’t figure out what’s going on. Could you guide me on what to look for in photoshop. After I convert this image to a jpeg to show here, it still looks as bright, and saturated as the original. It only changes in appearance here. Frustrating. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Dave: All I can think of is to make sure on the conversion to JPG that it’s in the sRGB color space, which is what the website uses. If it’s for some reason still in ProPhoto ore Adobe RGB, is will look weird. I don’t know whether you convert it to JPG in LR or PS. I find LR a whole lot easier and more intuitive and it allows me to create presets that include putting my logo on the image as I export it (and turn it off if I don’t want it for some reason). Since I don’t use PS, I’m for creating jpegs, I’m not sure where you access the color space, but I’m sure someone here knows.