Sharpie

This Sharp Shinned Hawk was harassing and being harassed by a small flock of crows. It was at my next-door neighbor’s house which unfortunately was right in the sun. The original exposure was pretty dark but the fact that I was able to shoot at ISO 200 probably saved the image. Unfortunately they were moving too fast for me to catch them in flight. This Hawk has been hanging around our neighborhood and caught a small bird in my yard yesterday.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
ISO 200, 400 mm +1.4 X, F5, 2000th, 35% of full frame, Sony alpha-1.

1 Like

Nice catch! The background really boosts it up drama-wise! Over-the-shoulder poses are always great and you’ve got the markings and striations so well in this shot. There seems to be something odd in the URC - the color changes from tan to ecru to almost white pretty dramatically. Not sure what’s going on. This would be interesting in black and white. Do the crows give as good as they get?

I had a magenta cast after adding a vignette and I fixed it with the desaturation brush but overshot.

I really like the way the background came out in this image, David. Excellent work shooting into the sun. The young Sharpies do seem to like hanging around feeders this time of year. Lots of other species of young and inexperienced birds to prey on while they try to figure out how to do it.

Proof if ever needed that shooting into the sun can work beautifully (if you’re careful!).