Two Sides of a Sharpie

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This (probably male, judging by size) Sharp-shinned Hawk showed up late yesterday afternoon and proved quite cooperative. I was able to go out the porch door toward his back and get some shots, but the angle of the rather harsh light was not what’s normally considered optimal, so I walked to the other end of the porch and out into the yard far enough to get an unobscured view of him from the other side without him flying.

Specific Feedback

I’m extremely curious as to what people like or don’t like about the two angles. I do have different head turns, but I tried to keep the angle of the face similar for the two to minimize that variable.

Technical Details

Both images taken with a Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, handheld, f/9, iso 2500. Size of hawk in the frame was about the same for both. Taken around 4:55 PM under sunny skies.

2 Likes

Dennis, this is really a nice look at this Sharpie, from both sides. Nice details. HH at 840 mm! I sure can’t think of anything that would improve either shot. I think my favorite would be the front view. Love the BG and how the lighting is hitting him.

Both are special! The light in the first is unusual and very interesting. The light on the second is more “normal” or expected but still fine, and the BG is to die for. Don’t make me choose!

Hi Dennis, both fine captures! If I have to choose, I think I’ll go for image #2 for the better lit eye and plumage overall. Still, #1 has good detail in the shadows. Both well done.

Hi Dennis
Well you did a great job with the lighting. The key light on the back shot accent the head, eye and bill and the side lighting on the front view accents the Sharpie eye and brown and white Brest feathers. Well done.
Peter

Hi Dennis,

If I had seen this majestic hawk in my yard, I, too, would have quickly grabbed the camera in hopes that he wouldn’t fly away until I managed to get a few shots of him.

I really like both images, each for different reasons but as stated by others, the pose, BG and framing is great!!
I think the lighting is very good, sure, the lighting might have been better at a different time of day but this is certainly more than acceptable! :slight_smile:

I like the different frame colors as well!

Your editing is spot on. I love the light and the color !!!