Shiprock

Rework:

Original:

I know Shiprock is a bit cliché anymore but I just loved the subtle light that was kissing this beauty.

Specific Feedback Requested

Do you feel there are too many clouds? I was tempted to clone out some of the small grey clouds that were not catching light.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
B&W conversion done in Lightroom only

4 Likes

Terrific image David! I really like the scale of Shiprock in this one and the lighting just kissing the side and streaking across the mid ground adds to the drama of the overall scene! I might be inclined to clone out the clouds just above the horizon on the far right side but other than that very impressive and shows that you don’t necessarily need a bunch of plugins or other apps outside of LR to make a fantastic BW image.

Really lovely b&w. It’s definitely the subtle light on the side that elevates this. I could see cloning out some of the small gray clouds that are closest to the right-hand edge. The others are fine to my eye.

This is exceptional… I never do this much to my own photos, but I have never got this shot…!
The Wizard of Oz.Dking|690x460

Cliche locations are fine with me, when they have this type of light, and such skilled processing applied to them. What impresses me most is how you used both dark and light tonalities to create a spotlight on Shiprock. The brightest tones in this image are to the immediate right of Shiprock, which pulls your eye into the vicinity. Then the very dark tones in the LLC just make Shiprock stand out like a beacon. This image is a case study in how to direct a viewers attention within an image.

Totally subjective opinion but I would remove most of the dark grey clouds to the right of Shiprock, except for the bigger ones near the right edge. I would also gently burn the brightest highlights in the sky in the right 1/4 of the image, to make the spotlight effect even more prominent.

You know you have a great image when people want to take a crack at their own spin on it.

David, I think the complexity in the sky complements the simplicity of the landscape well. The little, low clouds are so typical of this kind of mixed cloud layer in the sky. This has a fine mood, with Shiprock having a dark and ominous presence.

Wow David…I don’t recall ever seeing this before, so I’m very glad you posted it. This is an incredibly beautiful scene. It really looks like an alien world to me…from the beginning of a sci fi movie. Wow. Wow. Wow.

Beautiful image, David. I like the dark treatment of the foreground and heavy shadows on the rock. They add a lot to the mood of the image.

Thanks @Keith_Flood, I agree that getting rid of the clouds on the horizon helped clean it up.

Thank you @Bonnie_Lampley, I agree those were distracting and I have removed them in the rework.

Thanks @Dan_Kearl! I went in a similar direction in the rework.

Thank you @Ed_McGuirk, I tried a lot of different compositions here trying to include more of the rock wall to the left of the frame but it felt contrived. For the reasons you stated this felt very balanced and I’m pleased I kept working the scene on this day.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, in the rework I got rid of the little grey clouds, but I’m not 100% sold on it yet, I like the cleanliness without them, but they do add a bit of complexity…

You should definitely check it out if you’re ever in NM @Mark_Muller! You should hire a guide as it’s sacred Navajo land. I’d highly recommend Kialo Winters, he’s a great person.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank!