Short Eared Owl in Flight

It’s been a thrill to watch two short-eared owls hunting in a nearby marshy area and we have had king tides so they are relatively close to the pathway. They are often bothered by ravens and harriers so don’t tend to stay very long each morning. As well the weather has been overcast and I don’t really have enough light. This is the sharpest of my photos which is really not sharp at all. It is heavily cropped (about 75%).

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything please! Does this work at all?

Technical Details

Canon R5 and RF 100-500
1/2000 f7.1. ISO 2500
Handheld

2 Likes

I like the angle you caught the owl at, showing the full wing span. Yes, it could be sharper, but I think you did well considering the apparent distance and light. For me, owl shots are few and far between, so I’d be happy to get a shot like this.

So would I!! That camera and lens do so well with a 2X in between them, but I suspect here the issue with sharpness may be some combination of moisture in the air and thermal mixing. It just has that “sea air” look to it. Nothing you can do about it. Avoiding a big crop with a longer lens helps, but only a little bit.

Thank you Allen and Diane. I hadn’t thought that thermal mixing might be part of the problem. I am researching a teleconverter as well as sharpening software. As I am learning a mediocre shot is a great excuse to keep working on getting a better one!