Short-eared Owl, Roosting

Short-eared Owl (Asio flammeus)

Female Short-eared Owl, roosting. I think it’s just a bit too early for breeding.
This particular pose is called the “concealment pose,” with erect ear-tufts, raised white eyebrows and bristles around bill, and changed facial ruff to elongate the head shape, (from Birds of the World, The Cornell Lab of Ornithology). This occurred when a raptor flew closely overhead.

The male was a few meters away, keeping an eye on everything:

Short-eared Owl pairs usually form in late January/early February, and are seasonally monogamous. They can have as many as two broods per season. The female stays with the nest and young, while the male finds food–most often Voles.

This pair have been roosting/nesting in a local wildlife refuge for three weeks or so, and hopefully will stay through the breeding season, provided the human throngs don’t cause too much stress. The nest is probably 12 meters from the road, across a small waterway.

Type of Critique Requested

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

It’s challenging to get a decent image with so much grass around, and the nest is definitely embedded and camouflaged pretty well. I have many images, but the ones where they’re looking at me seem to speak the best.

Technical Details

600mm, 1/250 sec @ f/8, ISO 250.

4 Likes

Beautiful habitat shots. No nits from me, just jealousy.

2 Likes

I agree with @Allen_Brooks. Wish I had the challenge of shooting this owl amongst the grass! Well executed and a terrific subject. Thumbs up all the way around.

1 Like

This is unusual for sure. Hiding and camouflage are so intriguing to witness. I really like how this reveals that. Great job using the grasses to frame them. Nice sidelight, too. Just excellent.

Thank you, @Allen_Brooks, @terryb, and @Kris_Smith for your kind comments. It certainly was a treat to have these two all to myself for one morning.

Cheers,
David

These are particularly interesting shots as they show the contrasting poses as you described. The shot of the female is definitely the more striking and demonstrates the camouflage so well. Great that you got the male too - I share Allen’s jealousy!

Hi David, these are really awesome! :slight_smile:

So the female actually changed it’s facial expression and ear stance in response to the raptor passing overhead?
If you hadn’t of pointed out that this was a concealment pose, I would have thought it was more of a defensive posture.
It’s fun learning new things about nature and wildlife :slight_smile:

I would be excited to have captured these two in a matching environment, heck, I would be excited to capture them in separate environments :slight_smile:

The idea struck me that this pair might look good in a side by side presentation.

I gave it a try just for the heck of it, and I had to try making the grass in both images match fairly close while attempting to maintain the same color in the owls, particularly the eyes but there might be a little difference in the luminosity.

You might not like the idea at all, or maybe the color choice for the frame doesn’t suit your taste, but if you feel inspired, you could have something similar mounted in a frame and hanging on your favorite wildlife wall.

I was just playing around. It’s a take it or leave it kind of idea :slight_smile:

Great captures, David! :slight_smile:

Hi Merv, thanks for the comments and the suggestion to pair the images up. I like the idea and will dig into it.
Cheers,
David

Hi David
I m surprised to learn Owls will roost on the ground. I love the head on shots an it is always the eyes that make Owls look so great.
Peter

I love these images, David, and agree with what has already been said, and have learned some things about owls too, a subject which I have not yet photographed, but would love to do!