Short-eared Owl Subspecies

Came across this Galapagos subspecies of the Short-eared Owl on Genovese Island last April. It just sat tight on its bridge rail as we passed by very slowly. Though I was within 1.5 meters of it, I did not try to photograph it from that vantage point, feeling that if I stopped to do so and pointed a lens at it at close range it would fly. So I crossed the bridge and used my telephoto power to get this nearly full-frame image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments would be appreciated.

Technical Details

Sony a1, Sony 100-400mm at 400mm, manual exposure f/6.3 at 1/640th, ISO 1250.

Nice find! It’s very interesting to see the darker coloration in this subspecies.

1 Like

A nice pose with pleasant background. Comp is pretty good and if you have a little more space on the right, use it as the RH side is pretty tight. Hopefully, you will post more photos from your Galapagos trip. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Hi Charles
The Galapagos does have the look of (here come those humans again). The ability of Owls to turn their head is amazing. Normally you want this bird in a tree, flying or eating a mouse, but with the look the Galapagos is giving you and feather coloring and detail, this shot is very cool.
Peter

1 Like