Shortening Shadows

Sony A77II
Sony 70-400G @ 120mm, CPL
ISO 200, 1/320 @ f8
I should have looked ahead and posted Prelude for this challenge but I also had a number of other images from White Sands that will work this week. Taken shortly after dawn, thus this shadow will be receding. All comments welcome. >=))>

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Bill, this one works so nicely with the resulting isolation from anything in this surrounding dune area. I especially like how you placed or cropped in on the right side leaving just enough edge there without chopping off the shadow extension. The short DOF works well keeping the focus toward the FG ripples and of course the plant outcropping and shadow too…:sunglasses:

Although simple elements still has a great impact. Would make a wonderful print.

Bill, this is very elegant with the fine ridges in the sand and gentle color transition from dune to sky. My favorite part is the small sharp ridge to the left of the Yucca.

The contrast of the yucca and its shadow with the white sand is striking. That little bit of something to the left of the yucca is a nice touch.

I love the high tone treatment of the subject. The long horizontal shadow works well with the similar layers.

Bill
I really like this! Have you tried it in black and white? That might be dynamite too!

Bill,

A simple composition is often the strongest as exemplified by your photo. You could even do a killer BW version if so desired. Well done…Jim

This is a simple and yet very beautiful image. I like it quite a lot!