Sign of Spring & repost

This little Robin was hopping around in the woods near a stream, then when he went on this fallen branch in front of the water I was able to get a few shots. I thought the water looked pretty behind the Robin.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything, is the crop ok? I decided to make it close because there was a lot of what most would say were distracting branches, too big to take away.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
ISO 1600
300mm
f/8
1/1000
Crop and adjusted exposure, highlights, sharpened.

naturenessie

Hi Vanessa, I really like the setting here with the nice water in the background and mossy perch. The pose is good even though ideally a little more eye contact with the bird would be nice. I think when you cropped and adjusted exposure that left a good bit of noise in the background - if you have the software to run noise reduction on the water only that would help. As far as composition, having more room on the right would be an improvement I think but as you say that could have introduced some distractions. A pleasing image overall.

A very nice background and the Robin is in a nice pose, Vanessa. Allen mentioned the noise in the water. The shooting angle feels high to me even though it does get the water in the background and you may not have had an option to get lower. I do feel that the crop is rather tight.

The pose works for me as the robin seems to be giving something an intent stare. Despite the noise you have some good detail in the robin. Agree with the others that the frame is a bit tight.

I’m posting the original size (still with exposure adjustments and noise adjustments as my settings were wrong on exposure for the original, it was a pretty dark setting and I needed ISO)

Yes, I’m looking looking down from a bridge on the road…

@Allen_Brooks @Dennis_Plank @Allen_Sparks
Thanks Dennis, Allen S, and Allen B! I can’t figure out how to quote and reply all in one! So sorry for the separate response for some! But, I don’t have a separate noise app, it just covers the whole image. I probably needed my ISO at 3200 or 6400 but then still would have noise. Here is the original size image, just to give an idea of what I was trying to take out and that’s just based on previous feedback from other images. I really like the surrounding but realize that some of the bright out of focus branches are a distraction…

The surroundings are pretty tough to deal with in this one, Vanessa. I don’t think I’d try to deal with them.

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank Gotcha! Sometimes you just have to let it go! That’s probably the hardest part for me is culling. You’d think these were pictures of my kids! Not that I even have kids, but it’s probably like that.

Nice and unusual pose for the Robin. I really like the BG water! With current NR software like Topaz, you could get a nicely clean BG and it would deal intelligently with the detail on the Robin. Cloning software would let you deal with the OOF branches closest to the bird to allow a slightly looser crop. But you have dealt well with the limitations you have.

1 Like

Thanks @Diane_Miller for your feedback! Sorry for the late response, I wasn’t on NPN for a little bit! Just started again!