Spring Robin

I’m leaving tomorrow morning to spend some camping time on the Jersey shore near Tom’s River. Island Beach State Park and Edwin B Forsythe National Wildlife are my two favorite places to roam. I’m excited because the last time I was there, my 70-200mm was the longest lens I had. I now have a 100-400mm and 200-600 mm. Anyway, I’m packed and ready. Since it’s been raining most of the day, I decided to process a shot I took this spring. Robins do not like to cooperate with me. When they’re perched, they turn their backs, they like to walk around in the grass or on pavement and run from you, or they just fly away in the wrong direction. I know this is not a photo of a fancy bird, but it did pose for me, so I want to give him some credit. Adios for a week.

Specific Feedback Requested

The colors look more saturated in post than they look on my screen, which has been calibrated. I had this happen once before and think that my browser (Firefox) might be the culprit. I’ll take a look at it in Chrome to see if it looks over saturated. If it does, I’ll drop the saturation and repost it.

When I viewed it in Chrome & Microsoft Edge the saturation was good. Firefox definitely over saturated it.

Any critique welcomed.

Technical Details

Sony a7r iv 200-600mm @600mm
f/6.3
s/1250
Basic ACR, Topaz DeNoise, DB, color corrections

1 Like

I think this is a pleasing frame. Nice pose, even if is just a Robin. The comp works fine.

Viewing this in Safari on my calibrated Mac, it looks fine. Colors for the breast look about right to me.

If Firefox is looking odd, see if the following is enabled.

How To Enable Color Management For Firefox

1. Open a new tab in Firefox
  2. Type “about:config” into the URL field
  3. Access the Firefox config after the notice of warning.
  4. Filter for “color_management” in the search field.
  5. Change “gfx.color_management.enablev4” to the value “true”
  6. Change “gfx.color_management.mode” to the value “1” to enable color management for all tagged and untagged colors.

I like the composition. The red breast contrasts nicely with the background. The perch is interesting and the Robin gave you a nice pose. The colors look about right on my screen.

Thanks, Keith. We don"t have very exciting birds around here. That doesn’t mean I don’t love to be around them. Osprey, Eagles, Grey Herons and Hawks if you can get close enough are our large birds. We do have Falcons that live in the walls of the Taughannock gorge, but I’ve never seen them. I enjoy the practice and challenge on just about any bird that gives me their attention. Maybe some day I’ll be able to travel somewhere that has exotic, rare birds. :blush:

Thanks for the Firefox settings. I think these might be the setting I changed a few years ago to get better color, but I’ll check to make sure. It only happens once in a while and the majority of people use Chrome or Safari so I don’t worry about it to much unless I’m posting here and the colors look too saturated. Thanks again.

Thank you. I’m happy to hear I got a decent shot. I am learning a lot about taking good shots of birds from this community. Looking at a lot of bird images that grab my eye is also very beneficial. I hope to come back from my camping trip with some more good poses.

Well, this one gave you an excellent pose, Donna. A very nice job of processing as well. The colors look fine on my monitor and I do use Firefox on my desktop machine where I am now.

Hi Donna, this looks good to me too. I like the composition with the full view of the stems on the left and room for the bird to look into on the right. The over the shoulder glance is appealing also. well done.

Very nice pose, with good color and detail. Lovely BG!

I think what’s especially nice about this is how you lined the subject up with a lighter patch of background, which sort of encircles the robin and provides added emphasis. Purposeful or not, it certainly worked out well!

I think this is terrific, Donna. The perch is very unique and doesn’t pull attention away from the bird and you have a very nice background . The bird just pops off the background. You have a super good head angle with an interesting pose and great detail in the feet and the feathers and of course the eye. I can’t suggest a single improvement on this one. Well done!!!

@Dennis_Plank @Allen_Sparks @Diane_Miller @Max_Waugh @David_Haynes Just getting back from a camping trip near the Jersey shore. The weather was perfect and I’m hoping to have brought home some decent shots. I want to thank all of you for your critiques and am very happy that I got this one right.

Nice and ‘fresh’ images of a species I really appreciate. Colours look good on my Mac (Safari). Cheers, Hans

Thanks Hans. Glad you like this one.