Silver-spotted Skipper

Enjoying a sip of Swamp Milkweed in my flower bed.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 60D, Canon 70-300mm IS USM Zoom, f/8, 1/350 sec., ISO 2000, Hand Held. Processed for exposure and color in Canon DPP and PSE 12. Light Topaz De-noise applied.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Terry, he posed nicely for you. I like the partially frontal view, but side as well. Looks like you captured nice details in him as well as the milkweed. On my screen, it appears a bit over saturated, especially the green BG. See what others have to say. I think if it was my image, I might would crop a bit off the top and left to get the subject a little off centered. Otherwise, a very nice capture, in my opinion.

1 Like

Thanks, Shirley. I agree it certainly wouldn’t hurt to back off the saturation a bit. I like your suggestions for the cropping, too. Thanks for your comments!

1 Like

Terry, this is a fine look at this Silverspot and the Swamp milkweed. I agree that the background green looks a bit oversaturated (to my eyes there’s a bit to much “glow”), dialing down the yellow a bit will fix that. Such over saturation is something that a lot of the current software adds in behind the scenes especially when you adjust the exposure or contrast.

1 Like

Thank you, Mark. Good tip: I didn’t know that about the software. Probably how the over-saturation occured.