Sky on Fire

This is an older image taken on Inverness Beach on Cape Breton Island. It is a sunset on a windy cold evening. I am in the process of preparing for an exhibit for a local library in Plaistow, NH so all comments and critiques welcome,

I really need o start traveling again with my Canon R5.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any and all feedback welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 5D M2
Canon L f/2.8 24 - 70 mm @70mm
1 sec f/16
ISO 100

2 Likes

This is a gorgeous, fiery sunset, Eva! The reflected red in the foreground beach water really adds to the color impact of the scene. The one question I have is: why did you choose to shoot a vertical image @ 70 mm rather than a horizontal image at closer to 24mm? Is there something that spoils the scene or is not so interesting on the right side?

1 Like

Great light and reflection. Excellent sky too. It looks like you have some dust bunnies in the sky , a bit of noise and some kind of magenta cast there, as well. Beautiful scene.

1 Like

Thanks Harley and Gary for your input. I started over from scratch with this image to clean up issues @Harley_Goldman mentioned. The rework is attached above. @Gary_Minish - I also attached a wide view of Inverness Beach taken at 30mm. I think the vertical highlights the most interesting features.

HUGE improvement all the way around. :+1: :+1: Horizon might need a little leveling?

1 Like

Eva, this is a spectacular sunset. I like how you’ve managed to emphasize the reflection in the wet sand. The redo is notably improved. The horizontal version looks good as well, but it’s not as strong as the vertical.

1 Like

Spectacular image. I still prefer the first one, but would suggest cropping some of the top so that the horizon doesn’t seem smack in the middle.

1 Like

Another masterpiece Eva!
Personally, I prefer the landscape orientation. I cropped this a bit differently to see if I could draw attention to that fiery sunset a little more. I also brought down the luminance of the white section in the sky on the right hand side
Good luck in your exhibition. I can easily see this on someone’s wall!!

1 Like

I agree with @Tony_Siciliano’s cropping suggestion - prefer the vertical format; the red reflections in the water are great!

1 Like

Eva, the rework of the vertical is a nice improvement. I love the reflected color on the wet sand , and your tweaks in the rework have really brought that out even more. And I love the frothy energy in the waves, your shutter speed produced some very pleasing results there. I agree with @Tony_Siciliano about a slight crop from the top to get the horizon more off-center.

completely agree with you on this

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver @Tony_Siciliano @Karl_Zuzarte @Mike_Friel @Ed_McGuirk Thanks all for your comments and input. I have attached above a cropped version to get the horizon out of the center as suggestby by @Tony_Siciliano . Thanks @Karl_Zuzarte for the suggested crop on the horizontal version.

Eva, put me down for the horizontal version. I love the white and grey puffy clouds it showcases with the great broad glow below. Nice curving whitewater too. It has it all going on!

1 Like

Thanks @Harley_Goldman . I have visited Inverness Beach, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia many times in October during Celtic Colours International Music Festival (due to COViD, virtual only for the past two years an this coming October too)… The wind, light, pounding surf, and dynamic conditions on this beach are amazing and comparable to what I have seen in Scotland.

What a dramatic scene! Put me down for the horizontal, and I like @Karl_Zuzarte’s crop, but maybe not quite so much off the bottom. But I wonder if it’s possible to bring down the brightest highlights on the right, and lighten the breaking waves just a bit more. Reworking the raw file with a linear profile might help with the brightest sky.

1 Like

Wow, Eva. I am so late to this party. My apologies. Your rework of the scene to remove the noise, the magenta in the sky really helps with an already gorgeous image. After looking through all 4 of the images posted I must say, I really love the Landscape version. The moody clouds in the ULC are stunning and merge beautifully with fiery sunset colors. BUT, I prefer the reworked last image in Portrait. There is a beautiful glow on the rocky beach, I love the wave action and the shutter speed you used to get the water soft but not too soft, and the reverse Z pattern of the waves leading to a gorgeous sky. By the way, you reworked the sky beautifully IMO and most importantly, the image is no longer a 50/50 land/sky proportion which makes huge difference to me. Good luck at your upcoming show Eva.

1 Like