Skylark replying

When I was shooting this image a Skylark was singing high up in the sky, as they normally tend to do. I suspect the bird on the image is the female, which was singing from the ground while making some bending forward and backward movement. Never seen that behaviour before, but looked like display. Anyway, I was happy with the shot…
Thanks for viewing and have a nice weekend, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D500 with 500mm lens @ 750mm | 1/2000s | f4.5 | ISO320 | handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Sound like she was inviting him to come down and “chat”, Hans. The surroundings of grape hyacinth add a nice touch of color.

I really like the calling pose and raised crest, Hans. Great head turn as well. That field is serving you very well this spring. Our wildflowers are just starting to pop, so it will be a while before we get a display like this.

Nicely done Hans. A wonderfully composed image with the wildflowers providing a terrific setting to capture these birds. Great singing pose on the bird and well placed in the frame.

Thanks, Dennis. Yes, it’s a nice patch of land - Skylarks and Partridges are there, and it’s not that well known among other birders/photographers. You may have the impression that the birds come with the location every time, but especially the partridges can be a 1 out of 10 visits. There’s obviously no shots from all the times I drove by without a single bird showing itself :wink:

Really fantastic image With wonderful complementary colors and a fine open beak on the main subject. As always your short depth of field works wonders artistically.

Splendid image, with a beautiful color contrast with the flowers and a nice calling pose of the bird. I also like the soft OOF foreground. Well seen and represented!