Skylark taking off

A while ago I photographed Eurasian Skylarks amidst flowerbeds of hyacinths. Suddenly this one took off and I could get one shot (the D850 isn’t particularly fast). Sharpness on the head is not a 100% but I figured I liked the pose too much to throw the image away. Thanks for any comments. Have a good weekend, Hans

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is the sharpness a dealbreaker here?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D850 with 500mm f4 + 1,4TC @ 700mm | 1/2000s | f5.6 | ISO400 | underexposed 1/3EV | handheld

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

I usually don’t comment on bird photos because I’m not an expert and it’s not really something I am that interested in, but I have to say, this is exquisite! Yes, the bird could be sharper, but it’s still beautiful!

1 Like

Hans, this is really nice. I just love the position of the wings, and the beautiful flowers (love the colors). It is sharp enough for me. A very pleasing image.

1 Like

Hi Hans, beautiful take off shot. Love these magical settings you are capturing. I really can’t comment much on the bird’s sharpness at the size you posted. It looks okay to me at this small size.

1 Like

Hans
Wow = gorgeous!!! Bird and flowers!!!

1 Like

Really excellent Hans. Beautiful light and excellent depth of field control. I don’t think the sharpness is a dealbreaker at all in this one but you might full around with something like Topaz detail AI just to see what it does.

1 Like

I’d echo Tony’s and Allen’s comments. Setting is beautiful, and the sharpness looks fine at this size.

1 Like

A very pretty bird photo, Hans! The flowers and the purple color really make the image. I think just a little extra sharpening on the larger image would make a difference. See what you think.

1 Like

Thanks Gary - looks good. Cheers, Hans

Thanks all for your kind comments ! best, Hans