Sky's Rage - Stone's Stillness

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Sky’s rage, stone’s stillness,
Clouds swirl, thunder’s distant drum,
Worn yet unyielding,
The earth’s quiet strength displayed,
In wind’s eternal embrace.

Specific Feedback

Any feedback welcome.

Technical Details

15 mm at ISO 100 and 1⁄160sec at ƒ/8

3 Likes

Hi Saundie,
Very nice. I feel like it shouldnt work, there are so many textures and angles and things going on, but it does. The forms compliment each other, the black and white really works.

Thanks Cameron I totally agree it really shouldn’t work. Somehow the chaotic nature of the elements seem to play off one another … weird! Only nature can make chaos somehow harmonise. Thanks for the feedback! :+1:

1 Like

Now that is a really impressive image, if it’s not AI generated. Yes, there is almost an explosion here. Marvelous juxtapositions of rock and clouds. The contact point of the rock are really interesting as well.

Igor, are you requesting the RAW file? I’m a bit puzzled as to whether your comment is a compliment or an insult. Also, your inference about the contact point leaves me uncertain. Maybe a few shots from a different angle, but with the same sky, would be better? If you have any specific feedback, please feel free to share, and we can discuss it further. Attached is my Lightroom work space, it shows the same scene from different angles … same sky same contact point. :rage: Pathetic

I simply asked is the sky was AI generated. It’s a question. A comment. If you peruse NPN you will see this comment periodically. Nothing is to be read into it.

Um where’s the question mark Igor? And the inference about the contact point? Please anyone reading this would know exactly what you are inferring. Truly as a Valued Contributor I am shocked at this! I’d suggest you read this sentence again “Now that is a really impressive image, if it’s not AI generated.”

Yes. You’re correct that there is no question mark. The statement is meant to say that if all the components are in their current positions due to they actually being so then it’s a great image. Their juxtaposition position is quite remarkable from my experience. I am not questioning your integrity.

Regarding the points if contact. I have used such compositions with desert boulders and find that they work quite well. For some reason the contact point of a round or sharp object to a flat surface generates attention and emotion. I learned that from studying some of that in Jack Dykingas work which I admired.

Your message implied a different meaning than you intended. If the aim was to inquire about the authenticity of the sky, a direct question like, “Did you use AI to generate the sky?” or “Is any part of this image AI-generated?” would have been more appropriate and wouldn’t have caused any offence.
In contrast, your wording suggested that the entire image might be AI-generated.

For clarity, I use AI only for technical critique before I post my work; there are no AI-generated elements in my images.

I believe we can find a solution to prevent such misunderstandings in the future, such as introducing a clear ‘No AI Used’ indicator, with a well-defined explanation of what constitutes AI use in this context.

Hi Igor and Don,

I’ve been following your discussion and appreciate both your contributions to our NPN community. I understand that the topic of AI in photography can be a sensitive one, and it’s important we navigate these conversations with respect and clarity.

Igor, your initial comment about the potential use of AI in Don’s image, while perhaps not intended as such, certainly came off as accusatory. It’s important to remember that the way we phrase our inquiries can significantly impact how they’re received. A more direct and clear question about specific aspects of an image, such as AI usage, helps avoid any misunderstandings and keeps our discussions productive and friendly. I appreciate that you did acknowledge that it was not phrased properly in the form of a question.

Don, I understand your reaction and appreciate your willingness to explain your process and share your raw screenshots. It’s evident you take great pride in your work, and it’s important for all members to feel respected and their integrity unquestioned.

As a community, we’re here to support and learn from each other. Let’s continue to share our knowledge and experiences in a way that uplifts and encourages. Thanks for your understanding and contributions to making NPN a great place for photographers.

As a side note, while I appreciate the idea of a no-ai tag or something similar, I don’t believe we need it here, most of us in this community appreciate the craft enough to not use AI in inauthentic way, and most would be open and honest about it if they did. We had a ‘composite’ tag for a while and I didn’t feel it added anything to the conversation. As always, we just ask members to be honest about the methods they use and that has not been an issue here.

Now, if we could get back to discussing Don’s fantastic image! I absolutely love what you’ve created here Don, such an impactful image with what seems to be a massive rock teetering on the edge of rolling right over. Something I might consider is taking some of the clarity out of the sky so you have a nice contrast of the sharp edges of the rock against a softer sky. But that’s a nit pick. Wonderful image overall.

2 Likes

Thanks David for your input on my photo and for steering the conversation back to what’s essential - our shared passion for photography and respectful dialogue. I particularly valued your suggestion about tweaking the sky to bring out more contrast with the rock. It’s a great tip that I’ll play around with. It’s discussions like these that make our community a special place. Thanks again for keeping it real and focused on what matters.

3 Likes

This is wonderful Don. I love the visual tension of the rock as it seems to be precariously teetering there while the sky seems to be radiating outward from it. Makes me wonder how it came to reside there.

1 Like

This is a remarkable image, Don, and I think it works really well in B&W. I’m hesitant to make comments on technical aspects of it, but if you indulge me, I wonder what the effect of slightly lightening the shadows and bringing a tat more luminosity to the whites would do to this amazing scene.

1 Like

Thanks Ed. Behind this scene there are cliffs, I am pretty sure this would have broken off and ended up in this precarious position. It must have been there for thousands of years as the cliffs show nowhere near the same amount of erosion.

Thanks Maria! I think the lightening the shadows has added to the overall image. The luminosity to the white on the other hand I feel has probably caused the sky to compete with the rock , my opinion only. Thanks for that valuable feedback! :pray:

Thank you, Don, this remains a Fanta image. Thank you for satisfying my curiosity.

1 Like