Slateford Creek Falls

I made my way out to Pennsylvania back in March to try to shoot some snow covered waterfalls. This was my favorite one I visited. I tried to get up close without taking a trip into the creek luckily I made it out dry and warm.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5d Mark 3, 16-35 F4 L, 10 Stop ND Filter, Single shot 15 second exposure F/8 Iso: 400
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

David: Where’s the fun in staying dry :wink:? Marvelous little scene nicely captured. Although its a small point I like that the small section of sky isn’t blown making it a nice complementary element. :+1::+1: >=))>

To add to Bill’s comment - what’s the fun in staying warm. But it looks too cold for my Southern bones. You’ve got a classic rule of thirds comp. And I particularly like the terracing that gives it a strong radial presentation in the upper right portion.

Excellent diagonals and leading lines into soft cascade of freezing water. I get cold just looking at it.

Everything looks just fine to me, David. It looks cold and the diagonals of the rock face along with the moving water direct me perfectly to the waterfall. No suggestions from me.

David,

Burrrr… but a beautiful winter landscape and you were well rewarded for your efforts.

I think the composition works quite nicely. Initially, I’m wondering if slicing off a little at the bottom would be a good thing, or not. If anything, maybe a drop eliminating the white in the water LRC. Not that the white water is distracting, but I think more than anything, trimming up the somewhat empty rock might not hurt. But just something to think about, I don’t think that would make the image much better than it already is.

Processing is good as well. I like the subtle cool/warm contrast between the flowing water in the cascade vs. the fallen snow on the rock. Oh, and nice job holding the sky up top.

If anything, the only suggestion I have would be to bring up the luminosity of the darker left side. Not much, and not a big deal.

Thanks for sharing!

Lon

Thanks Everyone.
@Lon_Overacker I like the idea of trimming the bottom slightly, I had thought about it before but didn’t want to crop out the white ripple in the LRC as I thought it helped lead the eye through the image. I think I can up the luminosity on the left side or just remove the Vignette I added to that side as it may have over darkened it a bit too much.

David, this is a fine look at this snowy falls. Agreeing with the others, keeping a bit of blue in the sky is a good extra. I do agree with Lon that I’d like to see a bit more of the green on the rocks, lower left. That’s a nit pick on a well executed shot.

Lovely mix of water, ice, and snow. I too would vote for a little crop off the bottom; the LLC feels a little empty compared to the rest of the image.