Slaty Tailed Trogon?

My best guess is that this is a Slaty Tailed Trogon based on drawings and photos from three sources. But Nate can have the final say since he was there. Costa Rica towards the Caribbean side. Some cloning to reduce obnoxious branches in the jungle.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Iso-560, AFS 500 mm PF, F8, 1250th, handheld, no flash, 80% of full frame, D 500, DxO Photo Lab, Adobe Camera Raw 11.2, Topaz AI Clear, Topaz Adjust, TK sharpening action at 5%.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Very nice, David. A bit of a steep angle, but that’s not uncommon in forest shots and it certainly shows the bird nicely. Did you really get down to iso 560? I’m amazed you found that much light. A very good job handling a darkish bird against that bright background.

I am from Indonesia and having shot in the forest there, I know how rare it is to get something an opening this nice. I can’t comment on the color since I am not familiar with the bird but that color combo in the frame is just divine. You must have been really close to the bird not to be able to get the feet and perch within the DOF.

Hi David,

Looks pretty good. Eye detail is awesome. Your trip has produced some wonderful shots…Jim

I’m very envious you’ve been in Costa Rica with Nate! We did the trip maybe 8 yrs ago, and it was excellent, plus Nate is a lot of fun.
This is a beauty - the trogons are wonderful - great colours.
Too bad you couldn’t get him to look at you, but still avery fine image.
Any luck finding a “xxxx” of the Rock?
Sandy

PS LOL!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
This post just got automatically rejected by software word censors because I said “c-o-c-k” so I have to change “the word” to" xxxx of the rock ". Hysterical!!

1 Like

Hi David, nice detail where it really counts and the colors look nice (even though I really can’t comment on accuracy). A very nice catch.

A beautiful bird, David, and such great details in the feathers. It looks almost like he is needing a shave, with the “hairy” feathers around his beak! Nice job.

IQ is excellent, and it is nice that the BG isn’t too bright. Colors look very good. Only nit is that I’d prefer to be able to see the entire tail.