Slip sliding along

There happened to still be a bit of open water by the inlet to this lake even in January and fresh snow on the ice: perfect conditions for river otters to slip and slide to a dive in the water.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Pentax K-7, 1/100, f/4.0, 55mm, ISO100, adjustment to tone curves in LR, sharpening in LR

2 Likes

John: I would never have guessed that otters made those marks in the snow. Great catch and a fine comp and capture. >=))>

John, quite a nice scene you’ve captured even without the otter evidence. The jagged edge of the ice nicely frames the quiet water and reeds. They certainly leave quite an unusual imprint in the snow.

Thank you, Jim. I don’t see the tracks or the otters themselves often but it is always a treat. I remember seeing five of them crossing a small pond about 100 yards away. At first I could not even imagine what it was as they moved almost as one larger something. Another time I picked up a track on a frozen lake where they had come up through a hole on the edge; I walked well over a mile and they were still sliding along until they reached the other side and another hole into which they had obviously slipped. Some of the slides were 15-20’ long!