Small Part of a Large Forest

Samsung S7, hand held, LR, PSCC 2019

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

It’s great to see an intimate landscape such as this in this gallery. I find that I always learn so much from looking at these images. In this case the image looks a bit too busy, too fragmented with all that shiny texture in the water and even the moss. Yet the composition is strong with good structure and balance.

Having shot with the iPhone a fair amount I think this is the result of how smartphones process their images. They try to add definition by accentuating the sharpness and micro contrast so that the image will have more ‘pow’ to it. Sometimes it works but oftentimes it leads to images that look fragmented. It’s funny, because when you first start using an iPhone you are impressed by this quality but with time you start to see it’s limitations.

These small views are sometimes the only way to sort through the larger complex views of a forest. And you’ve done it well! Eliot Porter has long been my muse in such circumstances, and this could be one of his. If you’re not familiar with Porter’s “intimate landscapes,” my guess is that you’ll enjoy them a lot.

Keep them coming!

Danny, I really like the intimate scene here, the colors and textures are wonderful. I was going to say that using a polarizing filter would help cut the glare in the water, but then I saw what you shot this with. To me the most interesting stuff is in the top 3/4’s of the image, so a crop away from the bottom would eliminate a good portion of the water glare. I also think such a crop would place more emphasis on the logs, ferns and sorrel.