Small waves

This is another image from my ICM walk last weekend, walking along the beach close to my summer cottage at the south-coast of Sweden.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments are welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
f/22, 0.8 sec., ISO 100, Olympus pancake lens 14-42 mm at 21 mm (42 mm equiv.), travel camera Olympus PEN E-P7

2 Likes

Beautiful Ola. I love the pictorial colors and the delicate color contrast with low saturation. It is not easy to detect that the photo is taken moving the camera.

Beautiful image. I would never have thought this was an ICM image, rather one with a very slow shutter speed. I like it very much. I’m curious as to which direction you moved the camera and why that direction.

You are inspiring me to play around with ICM in the near future…this is lovely.

Super lovely. Your ICM images are surely inspirational, Ola. Living very close to the beach myself, I find this inspiring. I know I will fail miserably but I am inspired to try this.

@David_Bostock, @Igor_Doncov, @Adhika_Lie and @Giuseppe_Guadagno thanks for your kind comments.

It is a lot of trial and error. I try to have a rather long shutter speed, and the same SS for each of the tries of the same scene. Then you have the possibility to actively slow down or increase, or in another way change, the camera movement between each shot, based on how the previous image looked on the camera screen. I do not actually remember the motion for this one, but looking at the image I think I have moved the camera in the transversal direction from right to left. I think I then rotated around my own vertical axis.

I am glad that my image inspires, to me that is the best compliment I could get!

Really beautiful work Ola. You used such a subtle motion with this ICM that it does look more like a long exposure image. You did a great job with the camera movement, it creates a very interesting look. I also love the subtle colors here, you have created some really nice contrast between the lighter and darker tones of blue in the water.

@Ed_McGuirk thanks for your kind comments.

I can hear the waves and smell the sea… and the contrast between the luminous cool gray of the sea and the warm, incredibly soft orangey-pink of the sky, is truly delightful! The part in the shadows adds a sense of mystery by letting the imagination fill out what is barely visible. The composition is dynamic along 3 different axes, diagonal from the beach to the ULC and along the ICM streaks, and horizontal along the sky, resulting in a great sense of three-dimensional space. The view is open and breathing and so very beautifully gentle. Processing is great, wouldn’t change a thing. A series of these would be lovely. Great job!

1 Like

Thank you @LauraEmerson, glad you liked the image. It was an amazing evening, I took a lot of images so to put to together a triptych should not cause any problem.

Wow this is an excellent picture Ola…. At first I also thought this is long exposure, but maybe the blur in the sky points to ICM as a 0.8s speed should not be slow enough to do that… All in all really nice image, the colors and also the blur that mixes the water with the sky creates a surreal / dreamy scene. Nicely done, and as other here I feel inspired to give ICM a try :smiling_face:

@Nikos thanks for your kind comments. Glad you liked the image.