Snow Blossoms - an April Spring Snow

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Image was taken two years, after an early warm spell, with buds and flowers beginning to bloom, we have about 2" of snow in the evening, which was gone by the end of the day, this is not unusual for the Indianapolis area. I found the view from underneath the flowering crabapple tree with the blue sky in the background intriguing.

Specific Feedback

Mostly interested in composition and overall balance of the image.

Technical Details

Image was take using a Canon 6D, handheld, with 24-105 L lens, f16, 1/200 second at 320 iso,

I really like snow on flowers photos. Makes me a little sad for them, but they bounce back. The pink and white work nicely offset by the green and blue. Composition-wise this is a tough one because so much of the bg is present and complex. You could try a couple of things to make this a touch better - brighten that prominent group of flowers a touch and maybe see if you can blur and/or darken the background slightly. I wouldn’t make either change drastic since this is a pretty light-filled scene. A little crop might work as well, but it’s hard to say where since there is no clear delineation and no intruding distractions on the edges. Quite a lovely spring image though. I like that some flowers are still open and showing the shades of pink they have.

A cool subject, but a difficult one, with so much going on. It’s a bit underexposed – I punched it up a bit, but it might work to just do this in the center, on the main group of blossoms. That brought up the lovely color a bit more. I also cropped it a bit to emphasize that area. It might work to try a shallower DOF to simplify the BG. If you’re on a tripod you might try two shots with different apertures and layer them in PS and mask.