Snow Squall at the confluence

Scattered showers at our MT house in the shoulder seasons often mean snow squalls in Yellowstone due to the extra altitude. That has me in the park looking for stormy weather views while most of the visitors take cover or stay in their cars. This fall 2016 view looking across the meadow that’s formed by the confluence of Soda Butte Creek and the Lamar River includes some nice fall colors, an ancient cottonwood tree that I thoroughly enjoy every time I drive past, grazing bison and flying snow. Luckily for my gear, the majority of the snow stayed along the Lamar river, so that I could wipe it dry with the soft cotton cloth that I carry in my camera bag when the sun came out 10 - 15 minutes later.

5D3, 70-200 f2.8 @ 85 mm, 1/80 s, f/11, iso 200, tripod

I like the view here, Mark. A very nice composition and the feel is of snow approaching from across the creek. A very nice image.

Mark,

In a similar way to Keith’s image, it’s the grazing bison that really define this image. And I agree with Dennis in that you can see and feel the snow storm bearing down on the landscape.

The old cottonwood has grand character and adds a lot to the scene. I may be temped to shave off the bottom row of vegetation, but that’s just an alternate suggestion.

Great colors and mood here.

Lon

The hazy foggy background provides a great mood to a real nice scene. I like the fall colors and you placed the tree perfectly to balance to composition. Real nice viewing.

Delightful image, Mark ! The old tree and the bison do great work in bringing points of definition among the subtle mid-tones of the landscape.

Really pleasing fog in the background drawing me into this fall color scenario. Well composed and very balanced.

It’s nice how the weather created a layered look. That’s a pretty cool looking tree you pit in the comp.