Snow Stars

My first backpacking trip to White River on Mount Hood had dramatic views for about an hour after we pitched camp, then the weather took the mountain view away and it didn’t return. But for that one hour, it was a lot of fun!

I originally posted a lighter overall version of this on NPN; this one is a little darker to create a tad more contrast.

4 Likes

John, the mountain catching the light along with the mix of blue sky and clouds moving is lovely. Based on your title, I was expecting the white bits in the sky to be stars but then seeing them in the land was a bit disconcerting until I slowly realized that it’s flying snow… :laughing: Based on all of the snow, this must have been snowshoe backpacking. :wink: The extra contrast does a fine job of illustrating the spot lighting.

1 Like

Beautiful light and sweet scene! The mixed lighting really works well here as do the clouds/blowing snow. No nits here, quite enjoyable.

This looks COLD… I love the way you have light on the back mountain and got some on the front and the little bowl in the left. Very nice image.

John: A marvelous scene in even better light. I envy your experience and this image. Most excellent. >=))>

Wow, this is spectacular. The light is wonderful, especially the dimming low-angled light in the foreground. I missed your first version, but I think the overall lower light here really makes the highlighted parts pop.

Spectacular, John. Really awesome image.

A really nice winter landscape, John! I love the multiple versions of lighting in the scene, culminating in the brightly lit peak. The flying snow adds some extra interest because it does look like stars!