Snowless Winter

Imag

e:

Description:Ice formed along rock walls

Specific Feedback Requested:Is this a realistic interpretation of an ice sheet on the rock wall

Pertinent technical details or techniques: quality of image, adequate depth of field

Hi Paul,
I don’t know if this is realistic or not. This looks quite abstract to me!
What attracts me to this is that it reminds me of a big floral pattern. I see a tall flower petal in the background, with a long thin stamen in front. Pretty cool shot!

I had the same feeling as I set up to photograph it. An ice flower. Thanks,Paul

1 Like

@Paul_Hetzel you cannot convince me this is not an ice flower! Seriously, I cannot image how it was formed, maybe a drip that built up. Is that a stem inside? I would encourage you to play with adjusting tone curves and try “dehaze” (in LR) as that will help accentuate the internal parts of the “flower.” A wonderful image. Thanks.

Not having seen an ice on a rock wall I cannot say whether this is realistic. What I can say is that it is very abstract to me. It is full of thnigs if I let my eyes and mind wander. Apart from the obvious, I see flowers (skunk cabbage +), faces (person at bottom-middle in dark area), birds (Cockatoo, parrot +) and animals (rabbit +). I do get a bit carried away seeing things. Dehazing as @JohnSnell suggests is a god idea. It’ll make a lot of that standout even more. Nice shot.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will try your suggestion. Paul

Thank you for your suggestion. I have never seen a natural ice formation like this. It was the only formation like this in over quarter mile of ice covered wall. Paul

Paul, this is a fascinating ice formation. You’re showing it well. I think the key to it’s growth is that pair of “sticks” catching water dripping and freezing it. I’m enjoying the low contrast in the “flower” and the higher contrast at the top and bottom, but also wondering how more contrast in the flower would look.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I have received several suggestions and will work on the image this weekend. Paul

John- I played with the dehaze slider some. It accentuated the pattern in the “flower” but gave too much attention to the background, so I dodged everything but the flower. Thoughts? Paul

Jim-
I played with the dehaze slider some. It accentuated the pattern in the “flower” but gave too much attention to the background, so I dodged everything but the flower. Thoughts? Paul

Mark- Several responders suggested enhancing the image with some dehaze effect. I played with that slider which enhanced the “flower”, but I believe it accentuated the rest of the image in a way which drew away from the focal point of the “flower”, So I dodges the periphery. Thoughts? Paul

@Paul_Hetzel Yes, this is a challenge that I’m not sure how to resolve. Others may have good suggestions. Also, I’m wondering what it might look like in color, and whether than might help with separating the background. Sometimes I find an image like this, one I REALLY want to have work, is best deemed a learning experience…but don’t give up yet.

Paul, This is where local controls come into play. I like to dodge and burn through Luminosity masks. Check to see if your processing software can use those and how they work if you’re not familiar with them. With luminosity masks, you can dodge/burn a wide variety of brightnesses for local contrast adjustments. You may be able to use Dehaze through a local mask also, but with dodging/burning through luminosity masks, you have more control over how much and where your efforts are getting applied. BTW to make it easy for someone to see when you respond to them specifically, use the ampersand like, @Paul_Hetzel.

Thank you, I will fiddle with the luminosity masks. Paul