Snowy Egret Hunting

Hi All,

Shot this fellow south of Houston in 2013 when I was working down there for a few months. In post, I straightened the image, set white and black points, resized, selectively sharpened the bird, and reduced noise on the BG. I also added a bit of canvas to right. All C&C welcome.

Techs:
D7000
700mm, handheld
1/1250
f/7.1
ISO 400

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@feelingruby

3 Likes

A striking image, really well done. A wall hanger for sure. I could see, though, removing the partial reflection-it does tend to draw the eye.

2 Likes

I agree with @Allen_Brooks. This is such a wall hanger, Lyle. I really think that the background sings and the details on the white is such a pleasure to see. Thanks for sharing this with us, Lyle!

1 Like

Amazing shot and hand held! 700mm? Bravo! Very sharp and detailed. I do agree with the cut off reflection though. That’s what stuck out when I first saw it. Not sure if you have more of that reflection but maybe you cropped it out? If so, bring it back. Or try to remove it all together. But yes, beautiful bird.

1 Like

Beautiful image, Lyle. While it’s obviously a hunting pose, the still water and soft background give this a very serene look.

1 Like

This does deserve some wall space, Lyle. Such nice details, and the white stands out nicely against the darker BG. Well done.

1 Like

Thanks all. Interesting point on the reflection. I liked it at first, but I do see what you’re saying about drawing the eye. This is basically full frame, so I’d have to crop up from the bottom or clone it.

Excellent exposure, detail, and background. I like the depth of field but I would also remove the reflection as it grabs my eye.

1 Like

What a beauty - the BG colours ara amazing and make the image for me! As far as the refection, cloning out would be best (should your ethics permit and the result okay), since the image is nicely balanced the way it … Great shot ! Cheers, Hans