Soaptree Yucca in Twilight Silhouette

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Twilight on the horizon with no clouds is the most common type of sky in southeast Arizona, but this particular evening was extraordinarily vibrant. We were driving home from dinner, along the edge of the Willcox Playa (“dry lake”), when I noticed this nicely arranged grouping of Soaptree Yucca (yucca elata) on a slight rise at the edge of the road. Fortunately I had my Nikon D780 with me for an earlier afternoon hike, so I was able to capture a few frames before the brilliant colors started to fade.

Specific Feedback

It’s a pretty simple composition in strong silhouette, so apart from general feedback I’m curious to hear what you think of the barbwire fence. I debated spending some time removing it with healing tool in PS, but ended up leaving it in, thinking it isn’t overly intrusive, yet ties the plants together and also echos the barbs on the otherwise bare yucca stalks.

Technical Details

D780 w VR24-70 f/2.8E @ 70mm
1/80 sec at f/11, ISO 1800

Shooting notes: Handheld, hence the higher ISO. I was content to let the mountains in the background be a little soft but I needed enough DOF to get the fence and the plants in focus.
Processing notes: Minimal editing in Lightroom with sharpening/denoising in Topaz SharpenAI due to the higher ISO.

I can see your struggle on leaving or removing! When the image first came up all I saw was barbed wire fence. And I am looking at your image imagining that fence gone … and for me, WOW, what a beautiful image! I have always had a thing for fencing and power poles/lines though, I’ve just never liked them. Just personal choice :smiley:

Gorgeous colors and image!

Very nice! I love the gradient in the sky and you found a wonderful silhouette to place against it – both the composition and the sharpness keep the viewer’s attention, as do the tips that almost try to fade away at the top. That aspect works for me!

The fence could either go or stay, for me. It’s a twofer, with different interpretations. Both good.

Wow! Nice sunset silhouette Kevin. I kind of like the fence line here. It is clean and neat and doesn’t detract anything. Either way is OK. Welcome to NPN, Nice post.

I agree with the other comments as they relate to the fence. If I were to print the image ,I would eliminate the fence . However, for general viewing I don’t find it to be a distraction.

Thank you all, for the kind responses and feedback on the barbwire fence. I spent some time diligently removing it in Photoshop. The plants on the left and right were most difficult to separate since they have lower and more horizontal leaves. I agree that it works both ways, but if I were going to print it for hanging, I’d go without.

1 Like

Heck yeah … FANTASTIC! Love this image!

Thanks, Robert! I like it much better now that I’ve done it.

Both thumbs up!!