Soft Blue Agapanthus

I love these flowers, but they are hard to photograph in an interesting way. I wanted to show the softness of the opened petals.

What technical feedback would you like if any? I appreciate any comments. Thank you.

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Blur vs focus of blossoms

Pertinent technical details or techniques: This was taken in the morning. IS0 64, f/3.5, 1/250. Olympus OMD camera with 60mm macro lens.

(If the background has been replaced, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Ann Louise: Agapanthus can be a challenge but I think you rose to it. We have this same variety in our garden and I’ve gotten a few keepers. You’ve made me want to revisit those images. Nicely done.>=))>

Very nicely done Ann Louise. I love the soft colors and OOF background.

Thanks, Bill. It is such an unusual flower with lots of angles. They do move around a bit on those long stems!

Thanks, Linda. I was pleased to get the background. Love my 50mm macro lens for backgrounds.

1 Like

I like the shallow depth of field with focus on the foreground stamen. Yes, it does highlights soft colors and very well done. Looks like a difficult subject.

Thanks, Ravi. Every year there is a new chance to get better shots of these flowers!

You have successfully accomplished your goal of showing the silky smooth texture to the three main flowers. Nicely done.

Patricia, thanks for your observations and comment. Made my day!

Ann Louise
The flowers are beautiful and soft with the background exceptional. Very nice capture!

Thank you, Kathy. It was the only shot with the background nearly filling the frame. I got lucky.

Hi Ann,

Colors are subtle and very nice. With the limited DOF, you were able to get a very select plane of foicus which makes the image special…Jim

Thanks, Jim. Nice to get your thoughts. I wanted a more subtle effect.
Ann Louise