Soft touchdown

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

The thing that got me was the bending of the water surface. These birds must touch down with extreme precision and gentleness.

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

An old image from 2007, I reworked it recently. Seagulls following a boat at the Bahamas. Note that it was taken with a shortish (200 mm equivalent) manual lens.

Technical Details

Leica M8, Tele-Elmar 135.

1 Like

Walking on glass.

A wonderful image, Jaapv. The water is sensational and you caught the gull at exactly the right instant. Doing it with a manual focus lens is astounding. I see a couple of pieces of debris on the water that you could get rid of if so inclined, but they’re not very distracting.

1 Like

Thank you , Dennis. If truth be told , I often prefer manual focus over AF. It gives far more control. It has a bit of a learning curve which I absolved in a distant past, but is as effective as AF in many cases.

Nice catch of the bird skimming the surface. Interesting pose as he/she touches down. Green water color is a point of interest for me as well.

1 Like