Southern Carmine Bee-eaters

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Back in September I led a tour in Zambia, which coincided with the return of the Southern Carmine Bee-eaters to the Lower Zambezi and Luangwa Rivers. This is a dynamic bird, and a lot of fun to photograph, but a challenge as well. They’re quick-twitch birds, so landing flight shots isn’t the easiest thing.

In this case, of course, I hoped to get them landing on the riverside perches. I did manage a few sharp shots (including the landing immediately following this frame)… but I sort of liked the incoming bird as an OOF background element. What do you think?

Technical Details

Canon R5
Canon 600mm
ISO 1600
1/2000
f/6.3

1 Like

Max, I like this a lot. Yes, the incoming oof bird makes this shot, in my opinion. Fills the empty space with him, and you have a nicely placed and sharp bird already perched. I like the curved perch as well.

1 Like

Gorgeous birds, Max. I’m still a bit ambivalent about this one. to me, the incoming bird is a bit too strong to act as a backdrop to the other, but it seems to vary depending on the size of the image a bit. In the thumbnail it didn’t seem to work at all, but in the larger version it starts to work and in an even larger image or good sized print, I have the feeling that it might work well.

1 Like

My initial thought was I wish the landing bird was in focus, but actually, I think this works. The eye is directed to the in focus bird and the incoming bird, as you say, does provide a nice colorful background.

1 Like

Hi Max, I like this image as a unique capture with the background bird adding a high level of interest. Well done.

1 Like