Southern Masked Weaver at Nest

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A southern masked weaver working on its nest.

Technical Details

Nikon 801, Nikon ED 4/300 + 1.4x Extender, Sensia 100

Scanned with Nikon Coolscan 5000ED, Photoshop cropping to 4:3 framing

I love the arrangement you put together here. The feeling of suspension comes across very well. As does the bird’s activity. So busy and seemingly never satisfied with their nesting arrangement. Lovely, lovely background as well. Not sure how you feel about editing, especially given this is film, but if you’re ok with it, maybe eliminating the twig in the URC that goes out of frame. Super shot.

Cay-Uwe, what a nice capture you have here. I think you have done a great job in transferring the photo into a digital format. I really like the BG in the photo as it allows no distractions (other than that small twig in the URC). Another thing that appeals to me in your image is the fact we are seeing the bird upside down. It is not a common thing in bird photography – at least in the photos I see. Anyway, good sharpness and editing.

Excellent, Cay-Uwe. I love the composition and the scene is very interesting with the weaver hanging from the bottom of the nest. I don’t know if you’re into doing any messing with the scanned image, but I could see dodging the face of the bird a little, though it’s not a big deal.

A nice habitat shot. Good background; good detail in the bird and that red eye is rather dramatic.

I too noticed the red eye right away in the larger image size which adds to the yellow beauty of this bird. Interesting perspective showing what I assume is the normal position of the bird at this nest. Nice BG too. Well done.