Spanish Moss Infatuation

Spanish moss close up

Spanish moss ICM

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We recently moved to another area here in the Texas hill country which has tree moss. On my morning walks I truly enjoy watching the sun come through the trees, highlighting the moss. Ever since we moved I have been trying to capture what it feels like. For me there is something quite mysterious and/or intriguing about the moss. I am not convinced I have captured the essence of them yet. Still working on my quest.

Specific Feedback

Any and all feedback is welcome. I am particularly interested in how you respond. Are they interesting? Do they bring back any memories for you? Places you’ve been or visited? How do you feel, or not, about the concept of Spanish Moss as an image? Perhaps making this a project?

Technical Details

Z6ii, all photos hand held.
#1 f/5.6, 1/250sec., iso 500 @170mm (28mm-300mm) - converted to B/W. Basic clean up/burn sky
#2 - f/7.1, 1/32sec., iso 250 @116mm (28mm-300mm) - converted to B/W.
#3 - f/36, 1/2sec., iso 100 @98mm (28mm-300mm) - ICM. Basic highlights/shadow adjustments and cleanup

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Emotional Impact:
  • Mood Creation:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Textures and Patterns:
  • Use of Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Subject and Genre:
  • Post-processing:
  • Technical Aspects:

Linda: Love the graphic nature of the first two and your B&W is just the ticket. I REALLY like the ICM version though. Marvelous colors and I love the effect. Many kudos all around. >=))>

PS: Is this on the Medina river?

1 Like

Thanks so much, Bill. I agree, the first two do have a graphic quality and feel to them. However as I started processing the ICM image I was pleasantly please, not only with the colors but also how the swiping motion creates a bit of a vailed softness to the scene.

We are located on the north west side of Canyon Lake where parts of the Guadalupe Rive and Cypress Creek run. As a result, in some areas, we have lots of oak trees with lots of Spanish moss. I am still working on getting a shot of this moss just before sunrise as it catches the moss. Hopefully this year, so stay tuned. Thanks again.

Linda, the graphic nature of the b&w views is quite striking. I especially like the simplicity of #1. I could also see “playing” with the framing of a single strand. The ICM also looks very good. It feels to me like big bearded trees are marching, which is a ton of fun.

1 Like

Thanks so much for your thoughts, Mark. I do find myself playing with many options of these moss photos, especially in the B/W versions. Made me smile and laugh about the “big bearded trees marching!” Glad you’ve enjoyed them.

I love the simplicity and the tone in your images !!! Black and White works perfectly … really love the lines and the delicate vibe your image gives !!!

1 Like

Thank you very much, Gill for your kind words. I’m glad to hear you are enjoying them.