Sparkle

Glen Affric, Highland, Scotland

Glen Affric can be a very wet and dreary place but happily in Autumn the colours liven up to such an extent that even when it’s raining the scenery is quite stunning. That said the magical ingredient of strong directional sunlight back lighting young spruce just after heavy rain lifts the entire scene to an altogether different plane. I was very fortunate to be able to frame the backlit pine in a dark arch of unlit birch helping the pine to stand out. Controlling the depth of field drew further attention to the sharply focused tree and finally when the sunlight struck the upper canopy of golden birch the shot reached its azimuth.

Pentax 67II, 90-180 zoom, f4.5, 1/90 Second, Fuji Velvia 50.

This is something different from you Ian, and I like it a lot. Backlit autumn foliage usually makes for an interesting image, but it’s the rim-lighting of the wet spruce needles that makes for an extra special touch here. I especially like how you have framed the spruce with two halos, a darker inner one, and a brighter outer one. This a very well crafted composition that does a great job of showcasing the spruce. This is a beautiful image, well done.

Nicely composed and the back lighting works very well. Well seen and photographed.

Beautiful back light autumn foliage Ian. I especially like how the wet needles stand out on the spruce.

I was just going to say that. We’re so used to seeing grand landscapes from you that this is a bit of a surprise. Would enjoy seeing more of your intimate landscapes.

Ian,

Most times it’s just the simple things in life and in nature that are the most beautiful. So much to enjoy about this. As noted, the back lighting is quite beautiful.

Hard to be critical of anything here. The only little think I might address would be the brighter foliage in the LRC. Not a big deal.

Lon