Spider Embrace

These spiders are locked in some sort of embrace . I am guessing this is not good for one of them. Photo was taken this past May. I was drawn to the long stretched out legs in line with the grass.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIV, 100mm, f/8, 1/100, ISO 400 I am pretty sure this was from a tripod. This is a full vertical cropped from a horizontal. I removed a blade of grass just below spiders and a clump of the web.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

This truly is interesting, David. Hopefully someone will be able to figure out what species they are, and what is happening. I suspect, as you said, it didn’t turn out good for one of them, but who would be the winner? You captured very nice details, and I agree, most likely you were on tripod to accomplish that at 1/100 shutter speed. I like the green background, making the spiders stand out even better. Very nice.

I have no idea what’s going on but it’s a wonderful capture! Even the OOF legs work well and the BG is lovely! The crop fits well with the image. I’d be tempted to remove the tiny filament of a web in the upper corner and possibly lighten the darker area in the LL a little.

David: A really good find and a fine capture. I like the web filaments but see Diane’s point about making it go away. I like your POF/DOF choice and the crop. Well done.>=))>

A fine capture of two spiders, and most likely they are trying capture each other, or has already captured. The one on top seems to be the orchard weaver.
Well all this is still a guess.
Balan

Thanks everyone for the comments. I did a quick check on orchard weavers and although southern Canada is in their range they may live on the east coast and I am on the west. I don’t know.
But it certainly looks like the top spider has the bigger set of jaws and probably won the contest.
I had intentionally left the strand of web in to add context and some dimension the photo. Probably not enough of the web to really make a difference.

David, great capture at the right moment. Both spiders look sharp with nice oof background. Nice details as well.

David, this is a fine look at these two spiders. They are probably mating, with the larger female eating the male after mating is completed. That’s pretty typical mating behavior for spiders, with only the females spinning a web. The angled green background works well.

Thanks Ravi and Mark. That is very interesting Mark. I had heard of some female spiders eating the male but did not know it was typical. And I also did not know it was only females that spun a web.