Spider On Leaf

I’m not sure what this one his, I tried looking it up for spiders in North Carolina, and they didn’t show this one. I liked the way it posed for me in the leaf. He got into a few different positions, and even hid a few times, but was fairly cooperative.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything that would improve the image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Taken with Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 100 mm f2.8 L macro lens, with KX-800 twin flash with diffuser, HH, manual settings f10, 1/200, IS0 200. Edited in LR (slight crop for better composition and removal of distractions, and normal highlight/shadows type edits), and NIK to boost his colors/saturation to make him stand out a bit.

1 Like

Wonderful, Shirley. So glad to see you’re getting sometime outside to explore all these amazing creatures in your area. This guy has great detail in its face. Yes, I would agree it is checking you out as you photographed him. Such a cooperative subject. I like the composition with the spider slightly off center with the focus being just on its head. Great capture and very nicely done.

1 Like

Another great spider! The angle is good and the detail, too. The closest I could come to an ID is Pardosa milvina female; a type of wolf spider. My book says total body length from 5-6.5 mm. Found on the eastern half of North America.

Thank you, @linda_mellor and @Kris_Smith for your kind comments. Glad you liked it. Kris, I kind of thought it was some sort of Wolf Spider, but just didn’t find a picture of this one. Thank you for looking it up. He was little, but I think he was a touch bigger than what your book said, unless they aren’t measuring the legs in the equation.

1 Like

Shirley, the spider and it’s perch look great. You’ve got excellent details in it’s “face” and eyes plus the brown and white markings show very well against the green leaf.

1 Like

Shirley: Another terrific find and capture. I like the comp and your DOF/POF choice especially and your lighting rig works its magic again. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

Wonderful Photo Shirley. I also enjoy the DOF and how it was framed. I find that I am drawn right to the eyes. Excellent

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

Subject and perch go well together. This spider has some very nice color patterns and provided an excellent pose for you. Well done…Jim

1 Like

Shirley …i liked how you have depicted the entire spider, and nicely dealt with a tough subject. Yes you will find a lot of these in the backyard.

Balan Vinod

1 Like