Jumping Spider+ Repost

I was surprised to find this little guy in my kitchen sink today. I took an envelope, and coaxed him on it and delivered him to a much more suited environment (for him and me), our flower garden outside. I ran back and got my camera and he posed with this peekaboo pose for me.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does the composition work? I tried rotating it CCW to a vertical, but didn’t like it as well.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D II, Canon 100 mm L macro lens. Settings manual at f19, 1/90, ISO 160, using KX-800 twin flash with diffuser. Edited in LR and Topaz AI Clear. Slight crop for composition and removing of some distractions from the edges.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

This is great Shirley. Can’t believe he waited for you to come back, they never wait when I ask them too. Wonderful detail in the little fellow, I can even see the hairs on its legs. And the composition worked out perfect. Looks like he’s peeking out to say “thanks.” Nice rescue and photo.

1 Like

Great composition Shirley and the detail and I love how he still wants to hide. Great Photo

1 Like

Shirley: Marvelous story and a terrific image to top it off. I love the peeking pose and the details in the largest version are really impressive. Many kudos. >=))>

1 Like

Great shot Shirley, good detail and excellent composition. I’m always amazed at the bright colors on the face.

1 Like

This is so good! I could see a square crop (cutting off the left), but other than that, I have nothing to add. It’s so interesting that everything in the frame has little white hairs. :+1:

1 Like

Shirley, great job saving this little one and a outstanding image of it peeking out in all of the spring greens. The hairy legs and the green palps are excellent details. Have you tried rotating this so the spider it at the top looking “down”?

Mark, I did try rotating the image CCW, but to me it didn’t look as good. I think it has to do with the eyes, which seem to be looking at me in the horizonal, which is the way I shot it. I will try to post a vertical version (which I should have done and got others’ opinion on it), later today. Thank you for viewing, and your comments. I’m so glad I learned to not be afraid of them.

As Mark asked a good question, if I had tried vertical, I am reposting to get your opinions. I had tried it and didn’t like it as well. In the horizonal, which is the way I shot it, his eyes seemed fixed on me. In the vertical it feels that he is looking to his left. What do you all think?

Mark, I tried to add this photo to my original post (saw what you had suggested to John Teti on his post), instead of edit Reply so that my photos would be viewable together, but kept getting an error. I must be doing something wrong!

I see what you mean about the eyes Shirley. A definite shift. I do like the vertical comp though.

re: Repost: Edit your original post. Directly under the original image string of text click “add image”. Worked for me.

P.S. I’d rather he didn’t look at me!

Thank you, John. I appreciate the feedback. I too liked the vertical except for the eyes now looking away, so I opted for the horizonal.

I did click on Edit (or pencil) directly under my original post, added the image, typed a couple of lines and clicked Save Edit, and it said an error occurred. I tried it a few times and gave up. Thanks for the info though, it sounds like I did it right but for whatever reason it didn’t work this time. I will it on another sometime. I even thought about this spider as a B&W. What do you think? The shades of green would be nice, but not sure how he would look. Just a thought.

Sorry Shirley! Hard to resist doing these BW conversions!

1 Like

Cool, I was just thinking about trying it. Thanks.

I used the Black and White Mix panel in LR to darken the leaves wirhout effecting the spider’s tonality.

1 Like

Shirley, the vertical is interesting. It does provide a nice up/down eye movement, but it also feels like the spider is tilted, so I see why you picked horizontal. (If you had wanted to avoid that, you could tilt your camera, I don’t think anyone would notice, since leaves hang at many different angles. As for the posting problem, it should have worked fine, so I’m going to guess that you ran into a temporary system problem. To be safe, I always click the “add image” button when the cursor is on a new line of text (although that may be superstition on my part).

1 Like

Hi Shirley!
I wish a can say something more useful, but I just think is s great picture, I specially the love the vertical version! the B&W looks great as well.

1 Like